Ciudadanía’s area of social research is fundamental to the institution; through this area we seek to produce valid and relevant knowledge to contribute to the understanding and dialogue on democracy, the exercise of citizenship, the visibility of the most vulnerable groups and overcoming the conditions of inequality and inequity in Bolivia.
Research and reflection on the political and social processes that the county and region experience are central to the institution’s activities. That is why, though there is a specific area for research, the entire staff of Ciudadanía is engaged in activities that generate knowledge and reflection, as well as in social advocacy activities under the umbrella of the area of public action. This combination of investigative action and thought is one of the defining characteristics of Ciudadanía’s institutional activity.
Therefore, the activities in the area of social research focus on current political and social processes of relevance to the region, the country and its citizens. Moreover, the institution attempts to disseminate its findings and to create dialogue and debate from the results of the research being conducted. The knowledge produced by the institution is mainly used in the spaces for dissemination, dialogue and debate that are organized both independently and in conjunction with other institutions.
Database of social conflicts: In partnership with CERES, Ciudadanía maintains a database of social conflicts in Bolivia that collects monthly information on conflictive events that are registered by the country’s national media. The database contains uninterrupted information since 1970 and has become a key research source in the country.
Training of young researchers. Ciudadanía has a research training program through which young students or recent Social Science graduates interested in research can get involved in projects and activities and become part of the institution, which in turn guarantees them a scholarship as interns and offers them advice and support in their professional training.
Creating spaces for dialogue. The institution organizes and sponsors events to present and discuss the results of research conducted by colleagues who are not directly linked to Ciudadanía but who work in areas of interest to the institution.
Furthermore, the staff members of Ciudadania continuously participate in symposiums, seminars, national and international conferences and academic networking events, representing the institution. Among these, we can highlight participation in the events and conferences of: LASA, FLACSO, CLACSO, WAPOR, AEB, PIEB, CIDES, CSIC of Spain, PNUD, CONACYT of Argentina, UQAM-Canada and others..
Completed Investigations Research
In the past, the experience of Ciudadanía and its staff in social research has been broad and varied, including the following projects and activities:
- Examination of public opinion in Latin America, coordinating an international team for the elaboration of working papers on public opinion in Latin America.
- The development of an electoral atlas in Bolivia, which covers elections since the return of democracy; published by the Electoral Body.
- Participatory Research “The State of the Issue of Political Participation and Leadership of Native Indigenous Peasant Women in Bolivia” commissioned by UNDP-Mexico.
- Two research projects in response to a call by PIEB on Power and Change in Bolivia: “Region and territorial reconfiguration in Bolivia, 2003-2007” and “In search of a new equilibrium. Crisis, continuity and change in the Bolivian political system, 2003-2007”.
- Research on female transnational migration from Bolivia to Spain and its effects on families and communities in Cochabamba.
- Research: “Uses of free time and access to mass media and new communication technologies by youth in the city of Cochabamba and surrounding areas”.
- Systematization of projects for productive support in the municipalities of Cochabamba, using SAS methodologies.
- State of the art on region and local management
- Process of debate and analysis on territorialities, autonomies and citizenships.
- Systematization of proposals from political actors regarding the Constitutional Assembly.